Sunday, February 14, 2010

So much for winter, huh? At least we're not hosting the Winter Olympics like our Cascadian neighbors to the north.

Speaking of the Olympics, few people seem to know that Portland once made a serious bid for the 1964 Olympics (check out Dan's excellent write-up over at Cafe Unknown). Given the spirit of demolition prevalent in those days, we are probably lucky that we didn't even come close to winning the bid.









If I ever get serious about doing photo books, I think I may start with a book of photos of nothing but the streets, sidewalks, grates, and other ground-level attractions around Portland. Yes, even before I do my Portland graffiti book dedicated to Commissioner Leonard. I often think of Matt McCormick's film The Subconscious Art Of Graffiti Removal (different theme, similar results) when I am strolling around with my camera aimed at the ground. I could probably spend days making photographic interpretations of nothing but cracks in the pavement.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home